Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Voting, a heads up

I was watching Rachel Maddow a week or so ago and one of her topics particularly concerned me… Well they all concerned me but this one seemed relevant to this blog. She was discussing how a lot of states have enacted laws expanding the amount of identification required in order to vote. But I mentally shelved the issue because I didn't think it was a factor in the states in my area. But I was wrong. I was watching the news last night and was horrified to see that the very type of law that Rachel was warning about was about to be passed in Pennsylvania… That's a little close to home for me.
Apparently, a lot of Republican controlled states are changing the identification requirements for voting. Picture IDs will now be required contrary to previous years and the change is not being well-publicized. Other forms of ID that have been accepted previously will not be sufficient and potential voters will be turned away. It's anticipated that the majority of people that will be affected are the elderly and low income communities, because many people in these communities do not drive or have other reasons for these forms of ID, they don't have them. Why am I concerned? Well a lot of disabled people are on a fixed income and could possibly have a similar identification problem.

 And surprise, a lot of the people who will be affected by this legislation are Democrats. This new legislation is seen as the latest way that Republicans are blockingg Democrats from the polls. The political pundits are saying that if voting is made to difficult, people just won't come out or will be turned away at the polls for insufficient ID.

I'm just doing my part to spread the word. Pass on this information please.

No comments:

Post a Comment