Thursday, March 8, 2012

Childhood fantasies… Fear the bird!


As a kid, I had fantasies… I was a superhero, I was a star athlete, I was on TV etc. The closest I could get in my reality was trying to be a jock. As a little one, basketball was the easiest. My dad had put up a basketball hoop at both our homes, one in the driveway in Cherry Hill and one in the back alley at our summer apartment in Ocean City, N J. In Cherry Hill, I would take shots with my brothers or on my own but in Ocean City, I had several friends who were boys, not boyfriends, that I would play games against. I got to be pretty good in a 4 foot tall, 11-year-old kind of way and I really enjoyed taking it to my slightly taller friends who were boys. They thought they should be better than the little girl.

 With adulthood came reality. I stopped playing long ago, long before I no longer could. But the game never lost its magic for me. My father and I went to see Big 5 Basketball at the Palestra in Philly for several years. This year for Christmas, Janet bought me season tickets to the University of Delaware women's basketball games. I love it!

 There is one standout player on the team… Mind you, the players are all good but she is excellent. Her name is Elena Delle Donne.

 She was the top high school player in the country and I heard that she was going to go to the University of Connecticut, one of the top women's teams, as one might expect her to. Then the rumor mill started… She disappeared, she quit University of Connecticut, she quit basketball entirely. It seems as if all the rumors were true, she appeared at the University of Delaware and started playing volleyball for a year. Then she got her head together and started playing basketball and the team has had the best season ever. I'd heard rumors that there was more to it but I never followed up on finding out.

 Then I watched a little ESPN exposĂ© about her and it changed my opinion of her totally. She isn't just a great basketball player, I think she's a great person. I've attached a link to the ESPN story:


 The reason she left the University of Connecticut wasn't that she went from being a top high school star to being one of many great players… She missed her older sister who has cerebral palsy and is autistic, blind and deaf. Her sister can't see her play, actually she doesn't even know she plays. But to see the two of them together, how they interact with each other is absolutely magical. And it's not just her sister, the segment showed Elena with several other people with CP and her connection with them all was amazing. She didn't hold back anything because of the cameras and she seemed to bring out that sense of caring in her teammates as well.

 I'm sure there'll be people who will say that you can't tell anything about a person based on a short news clip. I don't think those people are right, and it's surprising because I'm usually the cynical one. I don't think basketball will be enough for her to be fulfilled.

Maybe I'm gullible, but I do see the potential for her to serve as an advocate for the differently – abled in the future. Watch for her, and see what you think.

But right now, I have to change the subject…we need her to concentrate on basketball. The conference championships are this weekend and if they win, it's on to the NCAA championships. Wow, who would've thought that little Delaware could make it to the Big Dance!


No comments:

Post a Comment