Sunday, March 18, 2012

You asked Mr. President

Today I got an e-mail from Pres. Obama asking me for my healthcare experiences after the Affordable Care Act was passed. Not being one to miss an opportunity, this is what I wrote:

I have had multiple sclerosis, a chronic progressive disease, for over 17 years and I've worked almost the entire time. However, two years ago the disease flared up to the point that I could no longer work and was confined to a hospital bed in the living room of my home. Of course I took advantage of COBRA and it took care of me for quite some time.

A few months ago, I was horrified to figure out that the existing COBRA ran out in February but the Medicare did not begin until September. I was at wits end. I knew that if I was uninsured for six months, I would have over $10,000 of prescription medications alone, not counting any doctors appointments or medical emergencies.

But then a series of remarkable, beneficial coincidences occurred. In January 2012, the State of Delaware legalized civil unions. Janet, my partner of over 20 years, found out that her employer’s insurance allowed her to add a partner after a civil union. Thanks to Pres. Obama's Affordable Care Act, there was no pre-existing condition clause and I am once again fully insured.

Mr. President, although I have benefited from this Act, I don't feel that your work is done. What if I didn't live in a state that allowed civil unions? What if I didn't have a partner who could add me to her insurance? What if her insurance did not allow partners to be added? I feel as if there is to much unsurity.

I was very lucky, but there are still too many gray areas where a disabled or sick person could fall through the cracks. I've checked with many healthcare professionals and have been told that this is just the way it is. Please continue your work on the healthcare issues. It's a good start, but it's not done.

Don't forget you've got a voice too.  If you get the opportunity to  rant or raise the roof, don't be shy. I used to be, it's really boring .

No comments:

Post a Comment