Saturday, August 3, 2013

Just a funny



I had a funny/strange/frustrating experience a while ago and I feel a need to share it. Janet and I were watching a program about Internet security. It was especially concerning the difficulty people have selecting and remembering passwords. It stressed the importance of having strong passwords, and different ones for each resource used.
 
I have always found these types of programs very informative, yet very frustrating because they  me realize how 'insecure' I really am online. I had one password for home use and one for work and they were very similar. Wherever possible I used the same words over and over again. The words were moderately strong according to a password rating system but they probably lost any strength they had by reusing them.
 
When I went out on disability from work, the password issue I had there of course was resolved since I was automatically locked out of all work related programs. The password problem at home continued however. Before I watched the program I was already somewhat aware and a little concerned, but afterward I decided to take action in my own quirky and ineffective way.
 
I changed my password on my Yahoo email account to a rather strange combination of letters and numbers that made sense to me. In any case, a week or so after making these changes with the hope that my system would be more secure, I got hacked. It shouldn’t have been a major issue, just a lot of spam email was sent out from my account. The major problem though was that they changed my password and since the hackers were the last to access my account, Yahoo did not recognize my computer. When I tried to 'convince' Yahoo that I was me, I forgot the answer to one of my security questions and was totally blocked out of the account.
 
It was only after talking to my mom (who is totally non-techie and did not understand a word of what I was talking about) that she reminded me that my father was a Navy baby and was born overseas and then was brought to Philadelphia. She gave me the answer unknowingly, and resolved part of my problem.
 
Thanks to mom, I was able to answer the security question, but then I had to come up with a new, stronger password for Yahoo. The system would no longer accept a weak password. I entered passwords that I used for years and that always were acceptable before but now were not strong enough for the Yahoo password strength rating system. I began getting very frustrated and used expletives in various languages, text messaging curses and various symbols and numbers that indicated my displeasure. I strung together almost 20 different types of characters, but nothing worked.. Janet heard me swearing under my breath and reminded me of the program we had watched and of the free password generators it told of that were available on the Internet. So I went online, found a couple that looked fairly reputable and signed up on one. I copied the outlandish, impossible to remember series of symbols from the generator and pasted it into the Yahoo password thingy but of course it didn't work. So I signed up for another one, went through the whole process again and still it didn't work.
 
At this point I was ready to throw the computer across the room. I had been working on this, between the security question snafu and now this password acceptance problem, for over four hours. I was done! Janet kindly offered to help me out since I was at wits end. She walked over, sat down, pulled the computer in front of herself and stared at it for a moment. She then shut down Yahoo and restarted the program. She got through all the security questions and arrived at the bleeping password screen. She looked at it, entered something in, hit return and the system accepted it immediately! Apparently, while I was desperately trying to get an acceptable password, the Yahoo system timed out and did not notify me.
 
I don't know which was more annoying, the fact that I could not get an acceptable password no matter what I did, that the system locked me out without notification or that Janet sat in front of the computer, and touched it and it worked. And this is not the first time something like this has occurred. Janet has just got the magic touch. Sigh… Another day in the Stewart – Williams household.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment