Saturday, December 22, 2012

Not a happy time


I normally am involved in the holiday season getting a tree, shopping for gifts and helping Janet decorate.  This year, I just can't get into the spirit.  Too many things have happened in my life and all around me: the death of Janet’s dad, her mom's illness, the elementary school shooting, Hurricane Sandy and the Fiscal Cliff.  I'm not only not festive, I'm depressed.

 The passing of Janet's dad certainly puts a damper on the holiday spirit.  In addition, Janet's mom has bone cancer which is contained for now but won't be cured.  She's putting on a positive face for her youngest grandchild, but I feel the pain in her heart and body.

The elementary school shooting in Connecticut is horrific…The loss of 20 young lives and their generations' loss of innocence. When I was growing up, I felt safe in my elementary school even when I thought the outside world was going crazy.  It was stable and secure inside James H. Johnson Elementary School -- who could imagine a crazed person killing my classmates?

 Hurricane Sandy devastated the Jersey Shore where I spent my summers from a very young age.  We had a house at Ocean City, I worked in Stone Harbor, and hung out with long ago friends in these and other Jersey border islands.

 I'm distressed about the Fiscal Cliff which is looming over everything.  The rich Republican white men want to protect their lower tax rates and the country be damned!  

 So in a nutshell, why should I be depressed? In the past month I've been surrounded by grave illness, death, loss of innocence and looming financial disaster. It's going to take me a long time to put a positive spin to this but I’m trying…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment