Friday, July 27, 2012

Vote or don't complain to me


I often have people complain to me about politics in the United States, Delaware or locally or how the country or state is doing. I always suggest that rather than complain to me who can do nothing about it, why not call or write to their state or national representative. Then I get an answer that annoys me all the more…" No, I'm not political" or " I don't want to get involved like that." AAARRRGGGHHH!!! I then ask if they've voted and of course they haven't. I then inform these people they can't complain to me again until they have voted.

I thought it might be helpful to point out all of the ways… Or at least as many as I can think of… that the government affects us. So, with that in mind, you can't complain if:


·         You breathe and thus benefit from the EPA

·         You drink water or beverages made from water and thus benefit from the EPA

·         You think you may live to retire and thus would benefit from Social Security and Medicare

·         You or your child may want financial help going to college… Apply for federal financial aid

·         You and your child enjoy reading books from the public library complements of your local government

·         You and your family go to the beach and notice a beach replenishment project in action paid for with state and federal funds

·         You drive anywhere and the roads are constructed and maintained partially or in full with local, state or federal funds

·         You and your family go out to dinner to a restaurant that is inspected to ensure safety and cleanliness paid for with state dollars

·         You or someone in your family develops a serious chronic illness with no known cure…  some of the research is paid for with your federal money

·         You or a family member has to take medicine that is federally approved and inspected, of coarse paid for with federal funds

·         You and your family decide to go on vacation see the Grand Canyon or other natural or historical wonders maintained with local, state or federal dollars

·         You enjoy listening to or watching informative television and radio; NPR and PBS are partially federally funded

·         Your home catches fire and firemen with their firefighting equipment, paid for with state or local dollars, arrive and save your house

·         You have a break-in at your house; the crime is solved and your property is returned by the police, thanks to state or local dollars

·         You or a family member uses your bathroom facilities and flushes; the sewer system was built and maintained with state and local funds

As you can see from my rather long winded rant, almost all aspects of our lives are affected, I believe positively, by the government. We can't breathe, eat, drink, have fun or take a dump without some form of direct or indirect government influence. I agree that everything isn't rosy right now but if you want the infrastructure to be expanded or at least maintained and if you want the government programs you use to continue then you have to speak up. If you don't want to call or write your government representatives, then the way you speak is with your vote. If you don't want to vote, I don't want to hear your gripes…

No comments:

Post a Comment